Webstat Free Counter Tracker
Headlines: In Paris, feeling a bit like "Paul West"... (September 27th, 2007, 11:46am) *
There's always hope... - French Connection (formerly known as London Connection)

« Home | First post. Just had to start with something so a ... » 

Sunday, April 02, 2006 

There's always hope...


There´s a part referring to movies in the blogger profile, well, here are some of my Favorite Movies :

Dead poet´s society: Just an awesome "students seeking for more in their young lives and showing some pride" movie whatsoever. Robin Williams inspires a class of young students in an elite American boarding school to seize the day and break some rules Loved it!

The Untouchables: You gotta love Sean Connery here and the whole movie is just cool.

Back to the Future: A classic. I still enjoy it everytime I watch it!!

The English Patient: They might say it´s just a romantic movie bla, bla, bla... but it´s more than that, it´s about the passion of the characters (Great performances by always reliable Ralph Fiennes and lovely Kristin Scott Thomas) and the complexity of emotions.

Donnie Brasco: Al Pacino and Johnny Depp head to head in a movie about an FBI undercover agent (Depp) who infiltrates the Mafia in NY, sees his real life fall apart and finds himself identifying with his new buddy (Pacino) to an extent where leaving his actual job would put his new friend in greta danger. Just plain GREAT!

Contact: Very nice (science fiction) story about FAITH, with an ending that makes you think...

Hardball: Keanu Reeves, a gambler, ticket scalper, coaching a baseball team in a poor neighbourhood in Chicago. Sad ending.

Carlito´s Way: Another cool Al Pacino movie... A newly released-from-jail criminal tries to straigthen up his life but is pulled back in to the nasty underwold he desperately tries to escape from when he does one last job to help a former "friend" (Sean Penn).

The Usual Suspects: This one has a just a stunning finnish. It is just a f***** awesome movie from the start til the end. Five criminals are rounded up by NY police and no one´s really comfortable with the situation. The whole movie evolves around two storylines which brilliantly unite at the end of the movie.

Malèna: Nice movie with very cute Monica Bellucci. II World War, Italy. Ennio Morricone soundtrack. "Time has passed and I have loved many women ... And as they've held me close, and asked if I will remember them .... I've said yes, I will remember you. But the only one I've never forgotten is the one who never asked, Malèna."
Interesting last sentence of the movie. Makes you think if you shouldn´t "pull the trigger" more often and go for a person if you like her, even if the odds aren´t that good... Obviously it doesn´t apply to the plot cos Renato is about 12 years old and Malèna is sort of a myth for him, but anyway.
Random note: Non of my friends in Madrid would come with me to see it in the cinema... I´m happy I went on my own after all :)

Waking the Dead: With Jennifer Connelly and a Senator candidate (Billy Crudup, great job!!) who starts seeing his, thought to be dead but never forgotten, ex girlfriend (Jennifer C.) everywhere, during the stressing last days of his campaign. Couldn´t tell why but this one impressed me. It´s really good.

and most notably ...

THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION: This one is a masterpiece. Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman, both sensational. Also Bob Gunton, great work!! And the ending... ASTONISHING!!

"There's a small place inside us that they can never lock away, and that place is called hope." -- Andy Dufresne (Tim Robbins)

As for commedies, Road Trip, American Pie and Meet the Parents would definitely make the list. And in terms of Sports movies I´d go with Jerry MaGuire, Hoosiers, Any Given Sunday (yet again Al Pacino) and Hardball: Keanu Reeves, a gambler, ticket scalper, coaching a kid baseball team in a poor neighbourhood in Chicago. Pretty sad ending...

Labels:

About me

  • Bonjour, I'm Marco, welcome to my little place on the Internet.
  • I started this blog when I arrived in London in early 2006, hence the name “london-connection”. In the meantime I have moved to Paris, after a short stint in Geneva. I like to write about silly stuff, about sports, travelling and going out… just about everything that crosses my mind, actually. The little things that spice life up a bit.
  • I hope you enjoy the trip...
My profile

Visitors

    Thanx for your visit and hope to see you again, soon!

    eXTReMe Tracker