Webstat Free Counter Tracker
Headlines: In Paris, feeling a bit like "Paul West"... (September 27th, 2007, 11:46am) *
Reviewing Germany... and its music... - French Connection (formerly known as London Connection)

« Home | Carnival celebrations to start today... Altweiber!! » | Man in the Middle » | Another brief roundup » | Windsor Castle... » | Fulham, here we come... "Vicenzo oh oh..." » | It snowed!!! » | Monthly Roundup » | One wild weekend!!!! » | Kensington Pubs » | Pre weekend roundup » 

Friday, February 16, 2007 

Reviewing Germany... and its music...

OK, a few random carnival thoughts:

-I’m really in the carnival mood, although in London it’s sort of pointless as I will presumably end up having some drinks in a posh club in Mayfair or some random bar in South. Ken tonight which in essence is the anti-carnival atmosphere by default!
-Nevertheless… I created my “Karneval” folder on my mp3 this morning. I am sure I was the only bloke in the tube listening to Brings and co this morning, which invariably led me to think at one point, standing on the platform at Earl’s Court, that I may be a weirdo… but I was enjoying my tunes too much to give a crap, so… And now that we are actually talking about German songs, I think the time has come to establish my All-Time Best “German songs for when you are partying in Germany” chart, I mean, there’s questions in life that definitively need to be answered with indisputable authority and this is one of them, and it was about time to address this issue! So here’s my very personal recommendation of the 10 most enjoyable German party songs. Feel free to add your comments, even though I won’t probably take them into consideration, as I know what I am talking here, lol:

10 Viva Colonia / Viva Bavaria (the Starkbier-Oktoberfest version) & Superjeile Zick (A carnival classic… the lyrics almost sounds Dutch although it’s “koelsch”) – couldn’t leave either out of this list as they are too “must play” carnival songs…
9 Westerland (An all time super classic from the good ol’ Erasmus days)
8 Wahnsinn (Hölle, Hölle, Hölle) (Cheeeeeeesy but megafun, especially the version with the chorus, hehe)
7 Pure Lust am Leben (An optimistic song from some Chavy Bochum group of the early eighties “Geier Sturzflug”, have a look here so get a better picture of them. Utterly hilarious!!)
6 Drink doch ene mit (Best carnival song ever, hands down!! I get the goosebumps here… Talks about an old bloke who wants one last beer and doesn’t have the money to pay for it but eventually gets invited to join the people inside the bar – touching!)
5 Irgendwie, irgendwo, irgendwann and a rather rare English version, wow!!! (Nena at her best... she f*cking kicked a$$... its so “Neue Deutsche Welle”…)
4 Zu Spät (Die Ärzte... Girl breaks up with singer, who in the refrain says something along these lines: “But one day I will take revenge, I will break all girls’ hearts, I will be a star and you’ll be longing for me but then it will be too late, too late…)
3 1000 und eine Nacht (Another mega-classic from the Erasmus days brought to us by Matthias Reim... superdupersong that tells the story of a guy and a girl who have been friends since they were kids and one night, the 1001st, “zoom” they kiss and well…)
2 Bayern (Die Toten Hosen musically bashing Bayern München, aweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
1 Über den Wolken (The Dieter Thomas Kuhn version is the funny one, this video is the original version by Reinhard Mey... I still remember myself singing it from A-Z on Altweiber in 2005 in the düsseldorfer Altstadt, going BONKERSSSSSSS “… schillernd wie ein Regenboooooooooooooooooooooooooooogen”, while everyone was giving me “what the heck?!?” between funny and confused glances… I know it by heart from my school, Switzerland summer camp days… Oh well, I’m getting carried away again…)

Honorable mention: 10 nackte Friseusen (Micky Krause), Aber bitte mit Sahne (Udo Jürgens), Herbert Grönemeyer (he’s big in Germany... Männer is cool, also the live version of Bochum, which always seems to turn in one of those kicking-a$$ performances...), Denkmal (Wir sind Helden, love it…), Jeanny (Falco), Terra Titanic (Peter Schilling… the video looks really weird actually… I remember we even listened to this song on our way to the football Eurocup in Portugal in 2004. … And my mates were Spanish, go figure!)

And not to forget: Gib Köln keine Chance!

- On a random note: I just found this Game Boy “World Cup” review (a game from the early 90’s) in Spanish. If you ever played the game, read it, it’s hilarious, the guy analyses every single detail… CRAZY!

Labels:

Now I am indeed on the brink of tears.
Although "Irgendwie irgendwo irgendwann" should be the number one!

Tears are falling mate!

Yeah well, huuuuge Erasmus memories with Nena... But you should have seen me singing "Over the clouds" in Düsseldorf two years ago!!! The blonde young lady dressed as a sailor understood... we exchanged glances and knew we'd be bound by this song forever... even if we didn't talk to each other at all. I could see the complicity in her eyes again and again... - the magic of carnival!

Post a Comment

About me

  • Bonjour, I'm Marco, welcome to my little place on the Internet.
  • I started this blog when I arrived in London in early 2006, hence the name “london-connection”. In the meantime I have moved to Paris, after a short stint in Geneva. I like to write about silly stuff, about sports, travelling and going out… just about everything that crosses my mind, actually. The little things that spice life up a bit.
  • I hope you enjoy the trip...
My profile

Visitors

    Thanx for your visit and hope to see you again, soon!

    eXTReMe Tracker