Webstat Free Counter Tracker
Headlines: In Paris, feeling a bit like "Paul West"... (September 27th, 2007, 11:46am) *
A few random notes on a busy week... - French Connection (formerly known as London Connection)

« Home | But lovers always come and lovers always go... » | Mega-roundup » | Mancini... oh la la » | Good things happen to good girls... or maybe not... » | Quick thoughts » | Gerald Green wins Slam Dunk Contest » | Reviewing Germany... and its music... » | Carnival celebrations to start today... Altweiber!! » | Man in the Middle » | Another brief roundup » 

Tuesday, March 27, 2007 

A few random notes on a busy week...

... workwise that is. My social life is rather unexciting... Thursday I´ll be back in Madrid for the long awaited, or rather not so, "Aicecks" exam... At least I’ll get to see family and mates, which should be fun… Oh well, here a few things that happened in the last couple of days:



Ben´s cookies: OK, I hadn’t tried them yet and they are really good. Insider tip for everyone coming to London. Try Ben’s Cookies! ... 24% fat "only" :P



When I took my plane to Geneva from the City Airport (best Airport in London, hands down!!, and one of the coolest and most convenient ones I have traveled to or from ever…) I spotted Colin Jackson . Well, he was sitting next to me. I even took a picture and will try to post it at some point. That is the second celebrity in two weeks, after spotting Jeremy Irons. Colin is a World and European Champion in Athletics (110m hurdles) and Olympic Silver medalist. Random anecdote: According to my mate Gal, whom I met at a party on Saturday night, he… likes men. So I guess that’s why he gave me all those funny looks… Naaaaah, just kidding, lol!

Three weeks ago I also had my First UK Hairdresser Experience at a Hair Dresser saloon in Staines, Middlesex, which is where I happen to work. You know, cutting your hair is one of those things, you never know what the result is going to be and why would you trust a random person with some scissors anyway? OK, so on the street where my office is, there’s three hairdressers. One of them got discarded immediately because the “hair-cutter” looked too old, the other one, seemed too full when I went for my appointment, so I chose the last one, which looked alright (from a MK standpoint) and was empty at the moment. Alright then, when I went for my haircut on the next day, surprise, the saloon was not only full, but full with 16-24 year old young ladies (and chavs) and all hair dressers were women… I mean, I felt sooooooo much out of place. I almost expected someone to start the “George Clooney looks so sweet” topic at any moment… Or maybe not George Clooney, that’s more for the 30+ year old singles… Anyways, it was scary! I almost started wondering if they actually “cut” men as well, no, seriously…
OK, so the assistant washes my hair and I get a hairdresser assigned and she greets by shaking hands(!), which was funny… That never would happen in Spain. She looked alright, stylish wise that is, which was a good start, considering two of the other “professionals” had strange hair cuts that resembled the "stylish haitr cut" of one of those drunk English chicks in a pub -> Alarm signals! Well then, once this part was sorted out, discussions about how to cut my hair started and everything was a bit of a mess because neither was I sure about what I wanted, nor how to explain it, nor did the hairdresser seem to know where to start. But hey, gradually we got on the same page and it seemed to be working, and the hair started to get cut, and a bit more here and there, and then my hair got brushed and dried (apparently the English word is “blow-dry” but I will omit this from my story to avoid funny comments…) and it was one amaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazing experience. I cannot describe it but it still gives me the goosebumps… It was all about the brush, which I cannot describe either, the only thing I know, is that I need to get hold of one of these at some point…
Result of the whole experience: Shock when at the office I realized my hair looked much shorter than I thought, which led to the inevitable jokes amongst my, normally not very humorous, workmates, such as “Ohhhhh, who’s that kid in the corner?” – Whatever! Now I am happy that my hair is short and I don’t have to spend 3 hours every morning trying to sort it out plus some people seem to think it is ok, so… and my dad will be a happy man when he sees me without my gipsy looking mane on Friday! :)
Finally the rating for the hairdresser:
Cut-satisfaction: 8.5… Effort: 9 (considering she didn't have a clue of what to do from my explanations and might not even have understood them!!)... Dedication: 9.5 (it took quite long to cut all that crazy hair)... Name: Wicked! She is called Shiobane, which confused the sh*t out of me, to the point that I must have given her a “what the hell is that name”-look, and she decided to write it down… All in all a solid 9. Happy times!


This is not something that happened in the last few days, it always seems to happen again and again and again: People change formulas in reporting excel sheets, mess everything up and nothing ever happens. I have been close to sending over death-threats per e-mail in my a few times but as we are civilized people here in the UK, I just take a deep breath before thinking: “OK, maybe not kill… but definitely punch that person!” This is a serious issue, there is less worse things at work than having to fill in absolutely f*cking useless templates, correcting formulae and people changing them constantly, which leads to the same errors and confusion again and again and again… It freaks me out. Other than that, I am a pacific and calmed co-worker, believe it or not!

And nba.com launched it’s new edition of the NBA Dance Bracket http://www.nba.com/features/dance_bracket_2007.html which consists in picking your favorite cheerleaders (out of a number of teams) through the bracket in 1 on 1 matchups. And yes, I get excited about these little games… very excited actually!


… Talking about games, I am reaching the final weeks of Fantasy Hoops, too. After 4 years being a 3-time runner-up and finishing in 3rd place once, this year I enter the playoffs as the #2 (out of 12) and #1 (out of 6) seeds in both my leagues. I f I do not make it to the "pantheon" this year, I might as well give up on this but I am a hopeful boy… errr, man!


And the quote of the week goes to our always useless Football Manager: "No osea, a los jugadores se les fue la pinza..." (translated: My players lost it!) after Spain beat Denmark 2-1 in what my dad described as possibly "the worst half ever by a Spanish football national team"... Right so!!!

Labels:

About me

  • Bonjour, I'm Marco, welcome to my little place on the Internet.
  • I started this blog when I arrived in London in early 2006, hence the name “london-connection”. In the meantime I have moved to Paris, after a short stint in Geneva. I like to write about silly stuff, about sports, travelling and going out… just about everything that crosses my mind, actually. The little things that spice life up a bit.
  • I hope you enjoy the trip...
My profile

Visitors

    Thanx for your visit and hope to see you again, soon!

    eXTReMe Tracker