Webstat Free Counter Tracker
Headlines: In Paris, feeling a bit like "Paul West"... (September 27th, 2007, 11:46am) *
Ramblings and "The Magic of the Potato" - French Connection (formerly known as London Connection)

« Home | 10 Months in London, time for a Review! » | A GREAT ONE says goodbye... » | NBA to start tonight!! » | Superhero quizz » | Threatened at Stamford Bridge... » | London Ramblings (part 1) » | Helsinki, well worth a trip... and rating Scandina... » | Helsingfors, here we come... finally! » | Toine & The Truth... the good ol' days » | Tube Thoughts and Opportunity Cost Theories - Catc... » 

Monday, November 13, 2006 

Ramblings and "The Magic of the Potato"

Do you believe in the magic of things? In signals? In coincidences with a bit more of a meaning than being just that, mere coincidences? Something happened the other day and my workmate Milena and myself have decided to chose it “The Magic of the Potato”. The thing is, on three different occasions, in two consecutive days, we picked a loose potato in the supermarket to cook it at work afterwards and all three times it weighted the same: .0345 Kg. What are the odds?? Considering a single potato might weigh, let’s say, between 0.2 and 0.6 Kg and that the scale being accurate up to .005 Kg, there’d be one chance in 80 to get a certain weight. The chance that two potatoes weigh the same is 1 in 6400, the chance that 3 do is 1 in 512.000 thousand. You tell me if this is not absolutely CRAZY!!!!



On the weekend, nothing amazing happened really. To sum it up:

I think I sprained my finger playin’ hoops on Saturday. I’m using the word “think” cause I have not been to the doctor yet and it could actually be broken but I doubt it… We’ll see how it develops.

Watched The Departed in the cinema and it was very good I thought… I mean, and this confused the sh*t out of me, even DiCaprio was good!! Not only good, I thought he was f*ckin amazing! And I’m not a Leo fan by no meanings. I don’t like Matt Damon too much either but he played his roll well and Nicholson, well, great as always but I’m seriously starting to get the impression he might be deranged in real life as well; you know, those faces he makes when watching Lakers games on the sideline, then you see him in his movies and it’s like watching the same fella, once in real life, the next time on the big screen…
An interesting subplot was the “hot-unhot”, “cute-ugly” psychiatrist played by Vera Farmiga. It went from “hmmm, cuteeee” to “naaahhhh, no way” three scenes later. There’s women who are just hot but then not so hot at all. The funny part? The “hot” side always outweighs the “not so hot” one and you’ll eventually notice they'll have more success with men than the random “plain cute” girl. Whatever…
As I said, good movie about the Mafia in Boston, under covered agents, etc. And even if you dislike Leonardo, go watch it, you won’t be disappointed, although, I must admit the ending left me a bit confused and surprised… Borat is next on my list. Can’t wait already!!!

Then, commuting back home on Friday, trains were late… as usual. The novelty here is that the delays were caused by the train ahead of us having caught fire. Southwest Trains could well start thinking of copying Nike’s advertisings: “Impossible is nothing”. Delays, signal failures, train drivers being late in Waterloo and causing a mess, fires, strikes, smashed windows… Oh and one day one guy was laying completely wasted on the seats and refused to move. I think he must have been high on some bad sh*t because he looked as f*cked as it gets!! F*cked as in “Erika Christensen (Michael Douglas’ daughter in Traffic) f*cked”, that is…

I also watched Traffic. Thought it was pretty coooool. The parts played in Mexico were awesome. Douglas is useless though. Is he overrated or what? Zeta-Jones plays an interesting character and I don’t like her as an actress either but I’m OK with her in this movie. It’s quite entertaining. Not amazing by my movie standards but definitely a good movie.

Also saw the movie trailer for the new movie from Álvaro González Iñárritu: Babel. Could be good or could be real sh*t but what I don’t understand at all is why they show 60% of the plot in the trailer… I always find Cate Blanchett intriguing in her movies though and she’s the main character in this one along with B. Pitt.

At the fish shop, where I bought some new fish type and I was waiting to pay with the money in my hand already (£15) it turned out the whiteley (or whatever the name was) just costed £3.72, which led to the guy at the shop saying: “You thought I’d be expensive, what?” and me going “You never know when it comes to fish in the UK…” and him giving me an odd look. I thought it was “funny” from him to say that, considering they rip you off everytime you buy something but for once, I must admit I got a fair deal.
... as you can see, nothing really amazing, except for the "potato miracle" :)

Labels:

I flooded the bathroom on Saturday. Triggered the fire alarm on Sunday. There is no hot water since Monday. The Charlemagne´s vending machine spat 4 cans of coke for the price of one.

Might the stars be feeling naughty as of late?

This is absolutely boring... Nothing else to tell? Hacía tiempo que no entraba en tu blog, pero veo que sigues igual de apegado a las cifras y los promedios.

Post a Comment

About me

  • Bonjour, I'm Marco, welcome to my little place on the Internet.
  • I started this blog when I arrived in London in early 2006, hence the name “london-connection”. In the meantime I have moved to Paris, after a short stint in Geneva. I like to write about silly stuff, about sports, travelling and going out… just about everything that crosses my mind, actually. The little things that spice life up a bit.
  • I hope you enjoy the trip...
My profile

Visitors

    Thanx for your visit and hope to see you again, soon!

    eXTReMe Tracker