Webstat Free Counter Tracker
Headlines: In Paris, feeling a bit like "Paul West"... (September 27th, 2007, 11:46am) *
Fantasy Hoops Curse or the Effects of Tanking - French Connection (formerly known as London Connection)

« Home | Quote of the day - "El Olson" » | Time has passed... » | A few random notes on a busy week... » | But lovers always come and lovers always go... » | Mega-roundup » | Mancini... oh la la » | Good things happen to good girls... or maybe not... » | Quick thoughts » | Gerald Green wins Slam Dunk Contest » | Reviewing Germany... and its music... » 

Thursday, April 12, 2007 

Fantasy Hoops Curse or the Effects of Tanking

... OK, so I am in the Finals in both my Fantasy League and it turns out that I am gonna finish second in both of them, most probably. I feel cursed. This Fantasy League takes place throughout a whole NBA season, from November to April. I have been a regular for about 6 years, so go figure, it's a game but not always that much of a game in the end... :) (At one point I was in aleague where we were a bunch of guys (9 yankees and myself) who ran it for three consecutive seasons, keeping rosters from last season and everything. This was kept alive through emailing and chats for the time of the year when players for the squads were selected, normallyin mid October) Alright then, funnily enough, after almost 6 months of competing, the Finals of these sorts of fantasy basketball competitions always coincide with each team's last few games of the season, when something happens that screws up everything, the whole logic of the game, namely teams start tanking (loosing on purpose) in order to increase ones chances to get the best college players coming out that same summer. The more losses a team accumulates, the higher the odds to get to pick first from the new crop of college players to enter the league that same summer, so basically, we have a whole bunch of teams trying not to win games, which means that they screw up their lineups, rest their best players (they don’t even hit the court anymore and this to you as a manager comes out of the blue!!!), come up with fake injuries for their go-to guys and worst case shut their best man down for the reminder of the season. Hence, your once solid and competitive roster looks like a non contender all the way. If additionally you happen to be away just the weekend before the Finals (this actually happened to me) and forget to set up your lineup and exchange those “shut down” guys, as well, you are screwed.


Let's see a productivity comparison for my team:

In tanking mood

Normal game


So if we have a look at the four guys the get DNPs (did not play) we can see that Martin had 24 points, 4 boards and 2 assists before being shut down, Iguodala had 25-4-8, Josh Smith 16-4-3 and Big Al (Jefferson), had a crazy line of 24-7-4 and 5 blocks in his last active game, before being rested because of some knee concerns... Are you kidding me? These guys were producing at All-Star rates and all of a sudden they are not even prepared to see game action anymore becaue of some dubious injuries?!?

So yep, it's not even easy these days to be a fantasy manager. Oh well...

Labels:

About me

  • Bonjour, I'm Marco, welcome to my little place on the Internet.
  • I started this blog when I arrived in London in early 2006, hence the name “london-connection”. In the meantime I have moved to Paris, after a short stint in Geneva. I like to write about silly stuff, about sports, travelling and going out… just about everything that crosses my mind, actually. The little things that spice life up a bit.
  • I hope you enjoy the trip...
My profile

Visitors

    Thanx for your visit and hope to see you again, soon!

    eXTReMe Tracker